Sunday, March 31, 2013

Octopus's Garden

The mural is complet!!!
We went back last Monday (the 18th) and for about four strait hours painted our little hearts out.  For some it might sound like a long time of tedious work, but I always find it relaxing.  I put on my beats by dre, listen to some music, and I'm in the zone.  People can't really talk to me once I get into an art project.  I become unresponsive and solely focused on whatever I'm creating.  If you do try to talk to me, my response is sluggish for it takes some time for my brain to transfer out of art mode and into... well, whatever mode people are normally in.  I just prefer to stay in the world of creativity.  It's nice there.

A few of the images that I solely created (after being designed by Lindsay) are a few of the flowers,  the orange butterfly on the right side, and the BYU signature.  While painting the butterfly I had flashbacks to Arkansas and watching my mom and Grandma Nut painting butterflies in my purple room.  They were so beautiful and one of the hardest things to leave behind when we moved.  I remember staring at all the detail in each butterfly, not knowing if I would ever be able to make something so lovely but wanting to desperately.  Then I finished the butterfly, and was jolted out of my flashback by a Michael Jackson hit.


"Mormon Shepherds Field"

Bethlehem 


That next Tuesday we had a field trip to Bethlehem, something I have been looking forward to the whole semester.   We went to the Herodion, Church of the Nativity, Manger Square, Orthodox Shepherds Field, Catholic Shepherds Field, and "Mormon Shepherds Field."


While all the sites were beautiful and had interesting background, none of them produced an overwhelming spiritual experience.  Despite the fact that each of these sites have traditional history, it's highly unlikely that they really are the places where Christ's manger was, or where the shepherds bones are buried.  It's a nice thought, but that's all it is.  


The best part of the day (besides lunch with hummus) was going to the "Mormon Shepherds Field" which is just a random field.  But there, when combined with singing of hymns, testimony bearing, scripture study, and personal pondering time, one can get a better understanding of that holy night then all those other sights combined.

@ The Herodian

Right before we jumped off the dock and into the Red Sea


Eilat

That thursday we went snorkeling in the Red Sea.  It was sort of cool I guess.  It was a four hour drive to get to Eilat, so we were all pumped and ready to go when we finally arrived.  I became a look-a-like for Wednesday from the Adam's Family with my pale skin, black swimsuit, and dark hair.  I only broke character when I smiled, laughed, or got really excited... which was all the time.  Sorry Wednesday.

One of my favorite fish in the sea.
It was "painted with soda bottle caps.
The sun felt amazing.  I could have laid on that beach all day, but it was either that or swimming with fish amongst beautiful corals.  Guess which one I picked.

I snorkeled as though I had gills.  It was incredible.  At first I avoided diving deeper for fear of breathing in water, but after receiving a few pointers I took a chance and dove deep.  It was incredible!  Swimming across the coral reef I saw the real life.  The orange, red, and purple coral breathed before my eyes.  I floated amongst large schools of fish and every time I glided across the reefs I felt as though I had become a leading role in Finding Nemo II (don't get your hopes up, it doesn't exist).

I got so wrapped up in my underwater exploration I lost track of time and had to change fast so that we could go into the city.  In doing so I found out that one of the girls in our group had slipped on the dock and broken her ankle/foot and another had been stung by a Jelly fish.  What a day!  And it wasn't even over.

And the homesickness was gone

Going into the city we perused the mall where I made the most marvelous discovery.  In the midst of all the Israel and Arabic music, displayed as though it was waiting for me to come find it, sat a Duran Duran CD.  Oh it is a wonderful world we live in, and 80's music brings us together.

We didn't venture far from the mall because we had little time before we had to leave for dinner at a kibbutz.  After a little nudging by yours truly, we strolled over and looked at the fish statues.  They randomly populated a tiny park and were each painted in a unique way.

Dinner was great, the drive back was equally long as the day and I couldn't wait to hit the sack and dream of Nemo, Darla, and sea anemones.

Life = Good   

1.  If you didn't catch the Beatles reference in the title you should go, repent, and listen to Yellow Submarine.
2.  My apologies for being so far behind.  I promise I'm trying to catch up!







2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence, I was remembering those very same butterflies on the wall your mother and you so beautifully painted to look like lavender linen. It was two days ago. Funny, since you were painting butterflies and remembering, too. The mural looks fabulous.
    "Under the sea....under the (Red) sea"! You are doing the most inspirational and magical things. Glad you didn't run into that stinger, fishy thing. Must have been an excruciatingly long ride back to Jerusalem for the girl with the broken ankle.
    Side note: Aunt Cara and I were talking about you last week and she mentioned that you were so beautiful. I agreed completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week. The mural is a smash hit. I like hearing your memories too. The snorkling sounds beyond amazing. I mean WAY amazing.

    ReplyDelete