Saturday, February 23, 2013

Paint Me A Rainbow

"Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
-Pablo Picasso
Last sunday I got to participate in painting a mural in a local school for disabled children.  It was designed by Lindsay (second from the left) who will soon be applying for the illustration program.  We were actually in the same figure drawing class last semester but did not really know each other until we met here.  What a small world.  I painted in the last shift.  There were two shifts before mine where all the "non-artists" painted/outlined the solid colors.  Then my shift (the art majors) followed and added detail.  As you can see we didn't finnish.  We will be going back in March and will hopefully only need one extra day.  Fun fact: This was not my first time painting a mural.  When I was fifteen or so I babysat for a local artist who was in my ward.  Knowing that I loved art and was fairly good at it (I hadn't decided to major in it yet) she invited me to help her work on a mural she was commissioned to paint while also keeping an eye out for her son.  It was so much fun, time flew by, and I got to paint my name in a rival high school!

I couldn't fit in on the sides without covering up more of the mural.  Solution = awkward position on the dirty floor

Thursday I was able to go and visit the Church of the Ascension and the Church of St. Mary Magdalene (which is affectionately nicknamed The Onion-Spired church).  Both are Russian Orthodox.  

It was such a beautiful day.  The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and I couldn't stop smiling.... but I've been told lately that I never stop smiling so that one probably doesn't count.  What I love the most about living in Jerusalem is that there are so many peaceful places to visit.  Sure, you might have to walk a block or two through busy, noisy streets, but when you get there, it's as though the outside world doesn't exist.  Leisurely walks among the wildflowers, soft breezes at just the right moment, no need to be anywhere or do anything; theses things make a perfect day.  

I love being with people.  Each person is so unique in personality, thoughts, mannerisms, and I love getting to discover it all.  I love dancing and laughing with these people and sharing all of these amazing adventures with them.  However, there comes a time when I need remove myself from the noise and bustle.  To be able to sit on a bench, under a shady tree, in a quite park, and have a thoughtful conversation with a friend, or simply sit together in silence.  Now that is sublime.

I was recently asked if there was one thing that got me more excited then anything else.  It took me awhile to come up with an answer.  I get excited about a lot of things: recognizing a song on the radio,  passing a cleaning check, getting a notification on Facebook, opening mission calls, trying new food, the list goes on.  But I nothing jumped out as me as more exciting than everything else.   

By George I've got it!
Then it hit me.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that somewhere in the recesses of my cranium a tiny little light bulb turned on.  It was so obvious and clear.  I love life!  Life is what gets me excited!  How could it not?  Life is the most exciting adventure there is!  Everything about it is wonderful.  We live in a beautiful world that we get to go out into everyday.  We live in a work of art.  The sky, flowers, trees, mountains, animals, and even mankind's architectural feats.  Every noise, smell, and taste that we experience, wether good or bad is incredible all on it's own.  As Americans, we are free to do whatever we want.  We as human beings can accomplish anything!  The world is at our fingertips and we can do whatever we want with it.

Now think about just what one person can do.  What you can do. All of your ideas and dreams and goals.  Doesn't that get you excited?  Now imagine that applying to everyone in the world.  Who has lived and will yet live.  Each individual has such potential.  I can't even comprehend what all can be brought about by such amazing people.  The idea is simply fantastic.  Then, when you put a spiritual perspective on it all it gets even better!  We are children of God and each of us have the potential to become Gods.  That is no small thing!  And knowing that this life we are in now is meant to teach us and train us for that time makes it so much more meaningful and exiting!!!

That is what life is.  All of it.  The good, the bad, and even the ugly.  It's all exciting and I love every moment of it.  My greatest wish is for everyone to realize this as well.  It makes it so much more enjoyable!

I'm the tiny little speck on the stairs
  



The steps leading up to St. Mary Magdalene
It's not "un"inspired, just "onion"spired

Behold, your future General Authorities... jk jk

Once we were done taking the superb pictures you see above, we strolled on over to the old city.  As you can imagine, the old city is filled with tourist attractions.  Places to see, things to buy, and reenactments to do.  One of these such reenactments (if that's even a proper term for it) is called Via Dolorosa (the painful road).  There are seven traditional spots in the old city that follow the path the Savior must have taken as he carried the cross to Calvary.  Tourist can buy a pass/ticket/whatever you want to call it and get the opportunity to carry a cross of their own through this same path.  Not until Thursday had I seen anyone participate in this venture.  Although I don't think I will do it myself, I think it is a great idea and probably a very moving experience.


Thursday night we celebrated Seder, a.k.a. the Jewish Passover.  We didn't go through the whole process because it would have taken forever but we hit on all the major traditions/rituals.  To sum it all up, lots of singing and reading happened and I became extra glad that I chose to learn Hebrew instead of Arabic.  

Shalom everybody!

4 comments:

  1. You are an incredible person with great insight. You must make Heavenly Father very happy as He watches over you. As I notice the snow crystals falling onto my sprouting daffodils I will not think, "Stupid daffodils for trying to bloom in February"' but will see the beautiful contrariness of late winter. Keep your wonderful observations and love of life coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I notice you are in most of your pictures, which must mean you have some good photographer friends you trust to take these great pictures of you. I always take all my own pictures, which means I'm never in any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most often I take my own pictures but I try to get in as many as possible to. Generally I end up telling people exactly what I want when I ask them to take a picture, but sometimes I luck out and they've got skills of their own.

      Delete
  3. I must echo Gma Nutt. Wonderful insight and I'm so happy you are discovering this young. You have a whole life and a whole world to discover before you! I think that too when I go new places. How there are totally different cultures and traditions I never knew existed. And that is just one place I visit! WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THE PLACES I HAVEN'T SEEN? It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete