Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Shiny Rocks and Spelunking


Have you ever had a day that ends with a great sense of pride for all that you've accomplished coupled with an overwhelming desire to slide into a rose petal bubble bath and fall asleep to a harp playing in the background?  Sunday was one of those days for me.  Sunrise yoga was canceled but so as to not loose my new heath habit, my roommate, Amber, and I got up early to work out and lift weights.  Turns out I've been lying to people when I say I can lift 350....  I'm just a little below that.... who knew right?  Right after that I scarfed down breakfast and joined a group heading towards the Temple Mount.  Before, all I had seen of the Dome of the Rock was the view from my apartment window (which is still awesome).  Getting up close and personal is an artistic delight.  The mosaics that cover the mosque are bright, ornate, and remind me of Life of Pi.  Much to my dismay, our photo snapping time was cut short.  Normally, the public hours end at 10:30am but around ten they started ushering us out.  I guess they can close whenever they like.  If only I could do that with my Ancient Near East papers.  "You know, I don't feel like turning in my site report today.  I'll wait a week or two just for good measure."




As we were getting kicked out, we snagged a quick pick like professional tourists.

 After we were kicked out of the Temple Mount we perused the old city for odds and ends.  I bartered like a pro, getting one man to take down a price from 350 shekels ($87) to 50 ($12).  350 shekels!  How ridiculous is that!  I was actually a bit offended that he took me to be such a dolt.

With our few purchases in hand we headed over to Omar's.  Omar's is THE PLACE to get olive wood carvings.  If you're fine with mediocre then any other shop would do but I LOVE craftsmanship.  Omar started carving wood when he was eight years old.  He taught himself everything that he knows.  When I first met him, he told me that he spent seven years just studying faces.  You can tell it in his work.  When comparing it to others, his figures have much more expression and personality.  It is amazing... and expensive.  Being in his tiny, one room shop makes me wish I was filthy rich so I could buy all that I see.

When two o'clock rolled by we found our way to the Pools of Bethesda.  The problem with visiting ruins in Israel is that they all look the same.  As cool as the background may be, I tend to forget it because one new site looks just like the last one.   However, we were all very excited to see the pools because it is directly mentioned in the New Testament, John 5:1-15.  

I walked where the Savior walked.  Sure I can say that about all Jerusalem, but as I will explain later on, that is not necessarily true.  Here we can say for certain that He was there.  He performed miracles there.  And I got to sing there.  Yes, you read right.  I sung there.  Located on sight is a beautiful church that we stepped into for some pondering time.  While there, a southern Baptist tour group came in and I spoke to a few of them.  Boy did that bring back memories of Kentucky.  In fact, just listening to their extremely strong accents cause me to, unconsciously mind you, slip into a little southern drawl myself.  They got really excited when they heard it and I had a hard time trying to convince them that I didn't really have an accent.

Anyways, they invited us to join them with their singing which was quite fun.  I didn't recognize some of the songs, but it certainly was entertaining to hear all of their mix matched voices attempt to blend.  Then they got up to leave and it was our turn to show them what us mega talented mormons can do.  The eight of us gathered in a circle and sung hymns that vibrated off the high arches of the church.  I don't mean to be prideful, but we sounded awesome.  Mormons can harmonize no matter what the number.  But the best part was listening to the words of each hymn come back to us.  Because of the echo, you have to pause in between phrases so as to keep the sound clear.  It creates a perfect atmosphere for really listening to the words we sing and the meaning behind them instead of getting through the song as quickly as possible.  Considering our location, it was unparalleled.

I'm gaining the ability to fall asleep anywhere 

The smaller pools of Bethesda.  Around here is where the Savior healed the paralytic  
We got back to the center a little after three and at five I went to a conditioning class.  One of the security guards is also a physical trainer so he started these conditioning classes for those of us less fit individuals who want to build up stamina.  It's completely optional and even though I already worked out I figured YOJO and went anyways.  People, I AM STILL SORE!  It is difficult for me to sit down without my thighs burning, and there is another class tomorrow!  But it feels good.  And don't think that I hurt just because I'm generally a slouch.  Oh no.  Everyone was in pain after that class and are still.  To top it off, I ended the night with a session of Yoga.

Summary of the day:
  1. 6:30 am: early morning workout
  2. 7:30 am: breakfast
  3. 8:45 - 3:30 pm: out in the city (with my flat-ish feet, that means a lot of arch pain)
  4. 5 pm: Conditioning class of sweat and pain
  5. 6 pm: Dinner
  6. 8 pm: yoga
Bubble bath I wish!


The next morning we had to wake up early to tour The City of David (in case you haven't caught on, Monday is field trip day).  Clarification time: modern day Jerusalem is not the same as Jesus, King David, or even Nephi Jerusalem.  Their Jerusalem is the City of David.  It's hard to explain without pointing it out on a map, but modern Jerusalem, while still old, was added after their time.  Also, whenever the city was taken over or destroyed (which sadly happened often) they would simply rebuild on top of the rubble of the previous buildings.  So the ground itself has actually risen from the ancient Biblical times.  That is why many of the ruins we go to appear to go down into the ground instead of sitting on top of it.  Archeologists had to dig them out.  So not only am I walking just a bit further off from where the Savior actually was, but His footprints are several... yards below mine.

But the City of David is the real deal.  David, Samuel, Solomon, and Isaiah all lived and walked here.  So many conversations/stories in the Bible occurred here.   And let's not forget Nephi and his family.  We were abel to point out the general area where his family most likely lived and where the caves were that he and his brothers probably hid in when they went back for the Brass Plates.  Oh, and this is all jus a mile from where I live.

Moving past how cool my life is right now, we not only got to see possibly the worlds oldest toilet, but we also walked through Hezikiah's tunnel, which is an ancient, underground water system used during the time of King David (there are a lot more details behind it but I don't remember them all right now.  I'm sure Wikipedia has all the information you need).  This tunnel is narrow, short, and yes, still filled with freezing water.  Luckily for us it didn't go above the waist, but if anyone was feeling tired before, they were wide awake after stepping into that water.  I recommend for adventurous, not for the claustrophobic.

The tunnel lead out to an area that is believed to be the Pool of Siloam.  In John 9:1-12 it tells the story of Jesus healing a man who was blind from Birth.  Part of that involved the man washing in the Pool of Siloam.  I won't go into further detail, but I do suggest reading the story and imagining yourself there.  Awitness to the events.  We discussed it while sitting by the pool and it was a very touching moment.
It's hard to see, but my pants are soaking wet up to my fingers


Standing in front of the Pool of Siloam.



2 comments:

  1. You're not a tourist until you kicked out of someplace. Good work! And great bartering. Remind me never to try and rip you off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE you being in Jerusalem so that you can share this experience with all of us. You are so great at descriptions of your adventures and your emotions that I feel I am at your side. My fav foto so far is the one of you laying on the ancient archway. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete