Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pulling Out All The Stops

A very wonderful elf once proudly proclaimed, "I'm in love! I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!"  I now relate on a whole new level with Buddy for I too am in love.  I am in love with a city called Tel Aviv.  Would you like to hear our story?

We met on a bright Sunday morning and it was love at first sight.  I stepped off the buss and was immediately captivated by Avy's (yes, I gave the city a pet name) sandy beaches, foamy blue water, and city charm.  From that moment on, I knew that not only was it going to be a superb day, but that Avy would forever hold a place in my heart. (insert girlish awwwww).

Aren't we a cute couple?
Super excited to spend the rest of our lives together!

Avy and I got along great right from the get go.  We laughed and squealed as we splashed each other with water.  I got soaked and had to walk around all day as my jeans and shoes slowly dried.  But I didn't mind. 

To the left you can see that we both share a passion for art.  I don't think I've ever connected so deeply with anyone(thing) before.  I think the feeling must have been mutual.  Walking through and perusing the flea market in old Jaffa I felt as though Avy opened up to me all of her secrets.  The inner workings of her city soul.  

A flea market is very enlightening to browse through.  Not only are the items interesting, but the people who are selling them as well.  There are the charismatic, who want you to buy anything and everything, the desperate, who are wrinkle worn and appreciate any purchase made, and the indifferent, who play backgammon on crates and don't bother moving when they see you eyeing the merchandise. 

After our little heart to heart, Avy and I shared a lunch while looking over the pristine Mediterranean Sea.  I had a couple of peta sandwiches and an orange and Avy cleverly blew a strong wind, stealing one of my tomatoes out to her foamy waters.

The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the weather was perfect, so the JC students slipped into their swimsuits and went swimming in the Mediterranean... nbd.  I didn't bring a suit (the wether forecast said it would be cold and rainy) so I stayed on the beach and admired the beauty of my new love.  

Doing so, I noticed another very attractive feature of my dear Avy.  Everyone gets along with her.  She brings joy to everyone around her.  The beach was populated with happy people (but it wasn't too crowded, a nice plus).  Families gathered to play in the waters... letting many of their young children to run about in their birthday suits.  And my dear friends and I had an absolute blast.  We never stopped laughing.  It's a great relief to know that all of my friends approve of my new relationship.



Our time at the beach ended and I soon realized that my time with Avy was coming to an end. So to speed up our pace and absorb as much of the city as possible, a group of us rented bikes for about two hours.  We chose the perfect time to do so for the sun was beginning to set.  I think Avy must really like me, otherwise why would she give me such a wonderful gift?  We biked along the boardwalk, through old Jaffa and the pier, through a park, up a beautiful green hill with a magnificent view, and into the city where all the locals were dressed up and partying as they celebrated the Jewish holiday Purim.                                                                
Nothing but happiness and bliss ran through me.  The every day sights were made awe-inspiring as the sun's rays made them glow.  Colors became so rich and the most average of objects appeared to be glazed in gold.  Words cannot express my friends.  Add a delicious dinner to then end and you have the perfect date.  I became very attached to Avy in that one day, and I think she didn't want me to leave either because, in spite, she gave me a bright red sunburned face.  Love hurts sometimes.


The next day was just as busy as the last.  Neot Kedumim is, in a sense, a biblical reserve.  In one location they have all of the plants mentioned in the bible, as well as cisterns, and biblically related activities.  I herded sheep people!!!

Sheep and goats to be more specific.  It took us a few tries, but eventually we got the hang of it.  We also made our own sitar...or something similar to it.  Basically we smashed up a bunch of weeds until they were powder, then poured it into tiny plastic bags.  We all felt like cocaine addicts.

They showed us how they harvested crops and made olive oil in biblical times.  It was all very interesting and I'm sure my mom would have thought it was a gold-mine of seminary information, but after having such an active day before, I started getting tired at the end.  But we arrived at the JC with several mission calls waiting for us.  That got our energy up again.  We now have had twelve mission calls this semester and one more coming this week.  Countless others will be arriving this semester.  Woot Woot!

The day came to a close the way every Monday should... with FHE.  Being the best mother I could, I scheduled an organ lesson for my little family with Brother Squires.  The Squires are the cutest little couple ever.  Sister Squires directs the branch choir and Brother Squires plays the organ.  Sadly, they are leaving us next Monday, so I had to make sure we got to have our own one on one time with the best organ player ever before they were gone.

We each had a chance to play the best and largest organ in the Middle East.  I played my favorite hymn, Come Come Ye Saints while others played Hot Cross Buns  and Mary Had A Little Lamb.  See, mom!  I still have some piano skills.  Anyways, we were then treated to a beautiful and incredible performance by Brother Squires.  It was amazing.  The JC is loosing two remarkable individuals.

4 comments:

  1. Love your pictures and your writing. Glad to see you are enjoying every minute of it. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I can't handle it anymore. Bus only has 1 S!

    That aside...Tel Aviv looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TelAviv...the most we read about it is about bombs and you bring a totally refreshing and exciting take on it. Makes me want to be a TelAviv BFF, too. The pictures are gorgeous and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING. Surely you are living a dream.

    ReplyDelete