Monday, February 18, 2013

The Land of Forbidden Love

I can think of no other holiday that creates such mixed yet strong emotions as Valentines Day.  On one side of the spectrum there are those who think V-day is the most wondrous day of the year.  They wear rose tinted glasses, hand out chocolate kisses to everyone they pass, and throw open the shutters to sing to the birds each morning.  On the other side of the spectrum future spinsters and video game addicts argue that it is a pointless holiday that conceited people, who constantly need to be told how much they are loved, celebrate.  And in the middle live those who believe that Valentines day is just a conspiracy started by Hallmark as an excuse for more card sales... but the chocolate makes it all right.

One of the most riotous guys here at the JC.
He is a hoot and a holler my friends.
What is my stance on a holiday covered in hearts?  You'll find me lounging about somewhere in between the conspiracy theorists and bird singers.  I have nothing against V-day.  I have no personal need for it, but if I see a lovely couple exchanging gifts then I will smile and be happy for them as I shovel down a chocolate cake baked for one.  However, I will admit that the crazy elaborate valentines and human sized teddy bears are uncalled for. What is a person supposed to do with a teddy bear that is bigger then them?  Use it as a guest bed?

I've never had a horrid V-day because I never had any expectations to meet.  Lovey-Dovey or otherwise.  For similar reasons, the JC is the perfect environment to celebrate a harmless Valentines day.  If you care to know the secret, it's three simple yet beautiful words.  No Dating Allowed.  Now I know it must strike fear in my parents hearts to hear their eldest daughter speak so fondly of being single.  Don't worry, I have every intention of getting married.  I simply ask that everyone remains calm while I try to explain myself.  
  
My philosophy when meeting the oh so mysterious members of the opposite sex is to be friends first, if something more comes out of it then great!  Go celebrate with a bottle of sparkling grape juice.  But if not, then you still have an awesome friendship.  I believe that many of the other students here have also taken this initiative to heart.  Everyone here is amazing and no one wants to miss out on being friends with such cool cats because they've spent all of their time cooing over someone that it might not even work out with in the end.  So while everyone is keeping secret tabs on who they want to look up when they get back to the real world, we all remain friends with everybody and form our own, close knit family.  Isn't that the perfect way to celebrate such a holiday?  Instead of couples pairing off and whispering sweet nothings into each others ears while the forever aloners watch in suffering silence, everyone wrote funny, sweet, and even heartfelt notes to each other.  Each of us had 81 valentines this year.  What a great atmosphere to be in.  I loved it and thrive in it.

So as not to ruin the friendly atmosphere, we had an anti-slow song dance.  It was a hot and sweaty mess!  But that didn't stop us from taking photos and having fun.  We Gangnam styled our inhibitions away and were kissed goodnight by the rays of a most spectacular sunset.  It was a good day. 

-My apologies for being so late on this post.  It has been difficult to find time to write everything down.  I still have much to write on and will do my best to update you soon.






1 comment:

  1. You are a very wise woman. It is hard to believe that you are still a teenager when you demonstrate such clear insight. Enjoy your freedom and enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete